February 2018 Newsletter
The RAISE Texas Network is Growing- are YOU involved?
Have you RAISED Texas this month? It's easy. While celebrating10 Years of RAISE Texas, we're working hard to expand financial empowerment opportunities in Texas by increasing the number of members in our network, and creating valuable conversations and resources online to reach more Texans, starting with Facebook and Twitter.
In case you haven't done so yet, here's how you can help:
- Join the RAISE Texas Network and help us expand financial empowerment activities across Texas
- Click "Like" on our Facebook fan page
- Follow us on Twitter
- Share our Facebook fan page with others (and suggest they "like" us)
By simply doing all or any of the above, you'll be "raising" our ability to better build financial success throughout Texas with the click of a button. But we can't do it without you!
Thanks to all of the members of our dedicated network, we're getting closer to our goal of better providing asset-building programs, financial products, resource support as well as technical expertise to low- and moderate-income Texans across the state. That includes in YOUR community! So thank you for helping.Woody and Lauren
44th City in Texas Passes City Ordinance to Protect Citizens from Payday Lending
On January 23, Grand Prairie became city #44 to adopt the unified ordinance to regulate payday lending for its citizens. Congratulations to Grand Prairie and to all of our partners that have been supporting these efforts!
2018 Scorecard Release webinar on Tuesday, February 6
Prosperity Now is releasing the 2018 Scorecard on February 6, 2018 at 11:00am CST with a webinar event. The Prosperity Now Scorecard assesses the 50 states and DC on 115 measures ranging from savings to debt and credit to housing costs and more. It also assesses states on steps taken to improve outcomes for residents, including adoption of state EITC’s, expansion of Medicaid and more. This year’s Scorecard highlights a few new features:
- New measures on debt, including median student loan debt and consumers with accounts in collections.
- The Scorecard's first-ever look on how people with disabilities are faring on key measures of wealth and financial stability.
Registration Open for the 2018 Immigrant Tax Issues Webinar
The National Immigration Law Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, and Unidos US are hosting a webinar that will provide an overview of how the current environment and tax bill passed last December affects immigrant families. The webinar will be held on Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1:00pm CST. Topics covered will include:
- Immigrant Concerns About Filing Taxes,
- Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) Renewals,
- DACA Tax Issues, and
- New Tax Law Updates, including New Child Tax Credit (CTC) Restrictions for Immigrant Children (not in effect until 2019 filing season).